.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Upgrading IE2 -> IE6 Under NT4

Yesterday I broke out VMware to test a .NET based application I am developing under a few different versions of Windows.

As expected, 95 could not take the .NET Framework.

98 worked fine, requiring only an install of IE6 (5+ required) with a few minor drawing issues.

2000, XP and 2003 all worked like a charm.

NT4 on the other hand was... interesting.

With VMware, it’s simple enough to drag and drop files into the emulated OS. Attempting to install the .NET framework I was told that it needed IE 5 or better. Being curious I double checked the current version, 2.0.

Ordinarily when you want to update something like IE, where do you go? Personally, I head to Windows Update, unfortunately, I was greeted by the following screen:


Click for larger version

Not pretty... but not the end of the road, a Google search (which rendered very nicely) found where I could download IE6 from the Microsoft Download Center. While navigating through a few Microsoft pages I began to shudder at the ugliness of the pages as they displayed javascript and other behind the scenes code that IE2 didn’t know what to do with (I should note that I did check out some other sites and just about everything looked horrid in IE2 (no background colors, no frames, no CSS, etc).

And now... back to our story. Reaching the link I clicked on it and was moments later greeted with:


Click for larger version

Kind of funny when you think about it... the two main ways of updating software on a Windows box are out of reach because of the software you are trying to update.

I ended up DLing the needed installer (ie6setup.exe) on another PC and sharing it over the network to the NT box, after that everything went smoothly, still a funny set of problems.

2 Comments:

  • Idiot. With NT4 and IE2, just install the SP4 and it will upgrade your IE to 4.0.

    Me too, I hate Linux, that's why I'm using UNIX and FreeBSD.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:20 AM  

  • Had I known that back in 2005 that might have been good advice... but then why should one be forced to throw on a massive service pack (tricky to get under IE2 I might add) just to get what was then a semi-stand alone application?

    By Blogger Brendan, at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home