.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Popup Blocker Failings

For a while the Google Toolbar was enough for me to keep the popups at bay. Later I got a new PC at work running Windows XP with SP2 and it's popup blocker ended up catching more than Google’s (SP2's obviously has first crack at it)... so now and then one would make it through SP2's protection and Google's would stop it.

More and more lately though I've been seeing more and more popups from numerous sites. From the looks of it, most of them target IE and not Firefox as in limited side by side testing Firefox seems to be blocking a few more than the Google Toolbar and XPSP2 combined... quite odd.

I’m forced to wonder how many of those programmers building popups and other related code to bypass popup blocking are targeting FireFox and how that # will change as/if it's user base increases.

4 Comments:

  • Are they pop-ups or pop-unders? My brother, my students, and I have been experiencing Firefox pop-unders recently, but no pop-ups.

    Dan

    By Blogger Dan tdaxp, at 3:33 PM  

  • I haven't seen any pop-unders lately myself, but then I only use FireFox for testing here and there when I want to see how a page looks elsewhere.

    Good that you haven't seen any pop-ups though, the evildoers seem to still be ignoring you guys for the most part.

    By Blogger Brendan, at 6:43 AM  

  • Hard to get around a popup blocker that blocks by wildcarding domains (*.doubleclick.net for example). Javascript, java, and flash pop-up blocking are fairly ineffective. Another way (if you didn't hate Linux so much) would be to add the domain or IP address to your hosts.deny file, but Firefox's AdBlock works just as well for just browser spam. There's a huge list of known spammers and advertisers somewhere on the net...I'm too lazy to look it up, but google it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 PM  

  • Interesting blog as for me. It would be great to read something more about this theme. The only thing I would like to see here is a photo of any device.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home