.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Cobuyitaphobia

Like many geeks, I love Dilbert. The comics, the posters, and most of all... the sadly underappreciated TV show. One of my favorite parts of the morning, is finding the latest comic waiting for me in my inbox... but I would gladly give up such brief pleasures if I could once again enjoy 20 min of Dilbert on television each week. Oh well. Lucky for me, it is in DVD form and I have had a copy since the week it came out.

Not too long ago, a co-worker learned of the series and I loaned him my set... this roughly coincided with the word ‘synergy’ becoming a bit of a catch phrase within my department. Not in a “we need to increase our synergy” way, nor even a “we have great synergy” way, but instead an unfortunate and sarcastic mocking one of the views of a few within the department.

Where is this all leading? Cobuyitaphobia of course! ‘The Fear of Synergy’, at least according to the Dilbert ‘Merger’ episode. In it, every time someone would say the word ‘synergy’, Alice would run from the room screaming due to this condition.

The co-worker who I loaned the DVD’s to made a quick copy of the Merger episode and has been passing it around the department, hooking many on the series, as well as possibly finding a word for what they think they’ve been suffering from, cobuyitaphobia.

At this rate, I’m forced to wonder how soon until cobuyitaphobia appears in the DSM (aka Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and what it's presense within the vocabulary of the rest of the department will do as I am starting to suspect that a number of coworkers also suffer from cobuyitaphobia.

*Note, at the time of this writing, a Google search for cobuyitaphobia returns no results, and thus I suspect that it is not a genuine word, but still a potentially useful one. It is quite possible though, that my spelling is off and Googles suggestion of coitophobia is correct... but only so long as synergy is another word for sex.


2 Comments:

  • dilbert's funny ^_^

    By Blogger Inari, at 11:39 AM  

  • well, synergy is uniting of two ideas (I think) and sex is uniting of two people, so it's not too far off.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home