.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Promise Ultra100 Card of Death

A couple of months ago, I had enough of an old Promise Ultra100 card I had used for years. Near the end, it had caused me so many problems that I decided that the trash was too good for it and would instead sell it on eBay (item #5131876164) .

The auction began:
This Promise Ultra100 Card of Death (SN K13050D20445), served me well for a number of years. However a few months back, my system become more and more unstable.

At first, Windows would claim that a few reads and writes here and there failed on a hard drive being run off of the Promise Ultra100 Card of Death, however extensive checks of the drives in question revealed no issues.

Later, during the playing of high end games with a high end video card, some of the hard drives attached to the Promise Ultra100 Card of Death would start clicking in odd ways, and at times with such frequency that the game would seize up for a moment. If this wasn't bad enough, the clicking lead to system freezes where the normal video would be replaced with an odd grid pattern, forcing the system to be rebooted.

I had initially suspected that my video card was to blame, so I replaced it, and yet the problems continued. And after extensive trouble shooting, I discovered that it was in fact my Promise Ultra100 Card of Death that was to blame for my ills.

However just before I narrowed it down to the card conclusively, one of the hard drives it controlled, a WD 80 gigger died, not a pleasant and possibly expected: "My life has been long and fulfilling, and now it's time to move on to whatever is next" but an awful "Oh you like the data on me? Too bad! Hahaha, it's gone! Oh? You want to reformat me? Now why would you want to do that? No! I will not let any system read me!" and as yet, this hard drive sits on my coffee table as a reminder of the evils of this up for auction Promise Ultra100 Card of Death.

Sure enough, I sold it, for a whole dollar (I was not even expecting a bid). I Ended up taking a loss on it as that dollar became only 67 cents after PayPal fees, and the USPS shipping ran $3.85 . I didn't care, I was glad to be rid of it.

The other day I was wondering if the new owner ever had any success with the card, just tonight, I received an e-mail from him saying:

Hello, I am the winning bidder for this auction. Thank you for your quick shipping. After extensive thought, I have decided to destroy the Card of Death (it seems only fitting). I do this only with your approval, and I would like any ideas on how to destroy it (I will provide pictures and possibly video). A few quick ideas we have come up with are: small explosives, lots of fire, or gunfire (maybe a combination of the three). If you have no preference we shall find random fun ways. Regardless, I am prepared to send you all photo and video footage (if you wish). Good day.

With that said... I look forward to seeing what horrible things he comes up with and puts into action against this piece of pure evil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home