.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Another ‘Stupid Linux’ Trick

Having some source code that was out of date, I did a ‘Get Latest’ in SourceSafe from my trusty Windows machine and copied the entire tree for the project to the Linux machine.

Next, I’d copy the source tree to the directory /home/brendang/test1/src/.

Because I’d been having an ongoing problem with getting kDevelop to compile some of my projects, I decided to have a single directory containing the source and have links to the appropriate folders where the source was to be used. This central directory was the one previously named.

The current project I was using, ‘stupidlinux’ (because I got tired of relevant names as none were working) was located at /home/brendang/stupidlinux/ and using the kDevelop IDE, I added the new files to the project, each time a new file was encountered it would ask if I wanted to link or copy the file and I would choose copy.

With that all done, I attempted a build and received a number of errors whose cause was that one of the files didn’t get updated. I replaced the out of date file with the updated file in /home/brendang/test1/src/ and attempted to build again but ended up with the same problem as before.

I verified that the source file I was copying over was the updated version, it was. I verified that the file in question located at /home/brendang/test1/src/ was updated, it was. Turns out, the link set up by kDevelop was wrong, it was linked to a file by the same name in /home/brendang/test1/, not in /home/brendang/test1/src/.

At this point one might say “That’s not the fault of kDevelop, you were just being dumb and added the file from the wrong directory.” That’s a fair argument... if it had happened just once. But when I did it multiple times, even deleting the source file and the linked file and redoing it several times and it still occurs.

Speaking of problems of kDevelop, when adding files to a project, there is an ability to filter based on file types using a drop down list. Even though you can type in a space provided and that contains what looks like a filter button, not unlike what is provided under the “File tree view in the project directory” in the IDE’s main window... this filter looking button is not what it looks like, clicking on it doies nothing and if you enter a custom filter such as ‘*.cpp’ (with out the quote marks of course) and hit enter... the dialog closes. Thus as far as I can tell there is no easy way of filtering.

Along with that, there is seemingly no easy way to remove large #’s of files from a project. The only method I’ve been able to find is pressing the ‘Remove’ button from the ‘Automake Manager’ tab, then waiting for a prompt asking if I really want to remove the file and hitting ok. This must be done over and over and over again to remove more then one file as there is seemingly no way to select multiple files to remove them in kDevelop 3.0.x as I recall there being in the 2.0 version.

If kDevelop is the best IDE Linux has to offer, I’d say it’s an awful pathetic showing and not something to be proud of... at least that’s my take on it.

And the whole while the problems I am having continue to get worse and more obscure. As an example of one of the easier (I’d think) problems I’m running into...What does it mean for instance when GCC gives the warning on compile "warning: when initialized here"? Google is no help, only gives 24 results, and all are simply pastes from compile logs and not ever referenced on it’s own.

12 Comments:

  • I added the new files to the project, each time a new file was encountered it would ask if I wanted to link or copy the file and I would choose copy.Try choosing "link" if you want them to link.

    What does it mean for instance when GCC gives the warning on compile "warning: when initialized here"?This is referring to the previous warning, which no doubt had something to do with initialization. The reason it is written on a separate line is because they are trying to point out a separate source location relevant to the error. The text "when initialized here" is indented to indicate this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 PM  

  • You can hit 'tab' in most dialogs to cause the 'filter' type action to occur. Enter activates the page's default action, likely 'Add' for the files you had chosen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 PM  

  • You spent more time writing your diatribe that it would take to fix the problem of finding the right files. File specification isn't rocket science, it hasn't changed that much in 30 years. I'm surprised you have so much trouble while claiming to be an engineer. You sound more like a technician, not an engineer. All the engineers at the company I work at can figure out different technologies without too much trouble. Someone with your problem-solving skills and attitude wouldn't last a month at our company.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:22 PM  

  • Since when does one application represent the quality of a kernel or of an operating system? I have never personally used kDevelop nor do I use any IDE at all (unless you count emacs), but if it sucks for you, use something else or study a bit. Don't blame it on the OS.

    - Heath Caldwell

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 AM  

  • The things you mention has nothing to do with Linux.

    Can I say "I hate Windows!" if Counter-Strike crashes?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 PM  

  • Take a look at Eclipse.... http://www.eclipse.org/

    Excellent cross browser IDE... :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 AM  

  • What a totally senseless website this is. Your comments are based off of your own ignorance and laziness. If nothing more to gripe about your poor technician job, your blog is a created as an attention whore-as you even advertise it in the anti-windows land of slashdot in your sig. Grow up...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:47 AM  

  • You know you could contact the developers, right?

    Frustrated User: Hello developer, I am having trouble removing/adding/updating files from a project in kDevelop 3.x. kDevelop 3.x doesn't seem to behave in the way kDevelop 2.x does. This is generally a bad thing and not very userfriendly.

    Developer #5: Hello Frustrated User, thanks for letting us know about this. We will get someone working on it right away. We will let you know as soon as we have things corrected. If this is an application you use often, please consider becoming a stakeholder in the development process. You may join one of our mailing lists and give your regular input so we may better suit your needs and the needs of others. Thanks again, frustrated user, your input is greatly appreciated.

    Your mileage may vary, but it doesn't hurt to try. The gesture is more productive than idle complaints. Just my two cents.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:13 AM  

  • if youre on linux and you somehow manage to delete system files, learn how to pop in the stupid cd and update your system, or wring you hands and start a blog.
    dummy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 PM  

  • "You should use systems that manage dependencies for you”.

    And then you go on to bash red hat, a system which does not manage deps. Dood, youre just too stupid to use freebsd or gentoo or debian, or any os with a solid app framwork.

    man yer stupid.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:57 PM  

  • First of all, if you want the security of Linux and the ease of use of Windows, you'd be running Mac OS. Linux is a total waste of time... wait let me go compile an email client just to read my email. Wait, let me go spend 8 hours trying to find a printer driver. Linux has a use behind the scenes, but no consumer should be using this junk. The user experience is really bad and it offers nothing to the PC consumer or gamer. LinSux, plain and simple. If I wanted to spend my day at the command line, I'd build a time machine and set her for 1985, well, for a shitty PC, Macs were using a nice GUI already. Long story short, if you have an old computer and want to mess around with Linux, do it. But don't count on it as your primary computer. Don't count on it to have fun with, don't count on it with any sensitive data, it's just not reliable. Get a Mac and you'll be happy that you did.

    By Anonymous furi0us, at 6:36 AM  

  • Only newbies will use windows .. for me linux is perfect its free and very fast.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home