.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Saturday, January 01, 2005

The joys of real estate

Recently I got it into my head that I should quit renting and buy a place of my own and one much closer to work (I commute ~45 min each way). By doing so, the ~$250 I spend a month on gas would drop like a rock and would be able to be applied to something more useful... like a mortgage.

In the looking I have done, I have learned a number of interesting things about the industry and how it all works... which is quite foreign to me. I am a very consumer orientated person, which at times is difficult because the company I work for does not sell to consumers.

I like the fact that if I get it into my head that I want to buy a Foo, I can probably find plenty of different versions of it. And once I once I find the type I want, it’s pretty easy to jump onto Amazon or any number of other online web stores to buy one. Heck, one can even go down to the local Best Buy, Wal-Mart or other store and pick one up as well. Foo’s are everywhere! Should I decide not to buy a Foo this month, and wait a couple of months to when I can better afford one... chances are, they will still be available en mass on store shelves.

A Foo is a Foo, whether it be a CPU, a video card, a book or a car, you can find what you want almost anywhere and at any time.

What does this have to do with houses? Nothing! And that is the point.

Take a two bedroom place, better yet, take 50, compare them, what do they all have in common? They’ve all got 2 bedrooms and that’s about it. Even when the specs on a piece of paper show a couple of places to be very similar, if not identical... nothing could be further from the truth.

It’s rather interesting finding things that meet ones high level requirements, but fail for miniscule things later that are quite hard to see from a distance.

Thankfully in this hunting, I have an ace up my sleeve. Both of my parents sold real estate for many years, and despite not dealing in residential (or real estate at all) for more than 20 years, they still know their stuff... a fact I tend not to share with the agents I talk to currently. Should I be serious about a property... they’ll know it... and find out about the parents.

All of this has given me a new idea for a game show, a concept so brilliant and useful to society, it amazes me it hasn’t been done before. I will write it up a little later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home