.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Monday, August 22, 2005

Death of the CRT

We’ve been hearing about it for years, how new LCD and plasma displays will eventually replace the trusty CRT for most display purposes and recently I felt it my time to join in this change as I’d been having some problems with my 2.5 year old 19” ViewSonic so I decided to take the plunge and buy an LCD.

Based on reviews online, as well as prices I opted to go with a Samsung SyncMaster 930B from my local Best Buy.

After spending the weekend with it and lots of programming and Battlefield 2... I became more and more disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful display and in many ways puts my CRT to shame, however I did find it lacking in many ways.

I quickly discovered that despite the claimed 160 degree horizontal and vertical viewing angles, the in order to see it at its best you needed to view it from slightly below center vertically. This required either elevating the monitor to ridicules heights, or tilting it back to the point that the physical angle of the monitor made me uncomfortable.

All of this has all left me concerned which really began long ago when LCD monitors began to become more and more popular and my never being quite impressed with their quality and ability to perform as well (if not better) than trusty old CRT’s that they were/are intended to replace.

Of course, my views on the subject are not the majority it seems as CRT’s seem to be a dying breed, at least in retail. Go to a place like Best Buy or another brick and mortar store that sells PC monitors and you will find countless more LCD than CRT displays.

If the Samsung sitting on my desk at home is one of the better ones out there in that price and size range... then I am quite disappointed with the majority of those being sold today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home