.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Monday, July 18, 2005

Most Expensive Ice Cream Cone Ever


After seeing Charlie and the Chocolate factory last night, Chad decided that he was in the mood for some ice cream and we came to the choice between a short drive to the local Culvers, or a shorter drive to a place called Cold Stone Creamery that was just across from the theater.

Having never been to Cold Stone, we decided to go there. Upon getting inside, we were greeted by a line of more than 30 people which zig-zaged through a standard line barricade setup. While waiting I was taking a look around and was impressed by much of what I saw. The place was far cleaner than I had expected and had been well cared for since being built (6+ months ago at least).

It was during my attempt to decide what to get out of their 28 regular mixes that I realized: They make their own ice cream.

No, I don’t just mean that they put their ingredients in the machine, press go and come back an hour later... I mean they do all of that and mix in their own ingredients when you order.

Once you’ve reached the front of the line (which took us 20+ min), they use a couple of large spoons to scoop out the actual ice cream from the display area, and then knead it a shape more suitable for the adding of ingredients. Into mine, chocolate chips and a piece of cookie dough were added and well kneaded. Later, the preparer added some fudge and caramel to the mix before asking me what I would like it in.

One may be wondering “Wouldn’t the ice cream melt due to all of that?” Such was my thought too until I found that the name of the place actually meant something. The surface that the ice cream was being prepared on was a wide piece of very cold stone, so cold that metal scrapers were needed to remove the bits of ice cream that weren’t served to the customer.

Having 3 sizes of: ‘Like it’, ‘Love it’ and ‘Gotta have it’, I ended up going for the medium size and ended up paying $5.22 for my ‘Cookie Doughn't You Want Some’ mix in a waffle cone while Chad paid about a buck more for the larger size of something else (whose clever name escapes me and which he was not able to finish) in a waffle cone bowl.

Quite a good treat, albeit rather expensive.

Adding to the experience was the workers (6 of them behind the counter) breaking into song from time to time with brief ditties, one began:

Hi-ho! Hi-ho, we thank you for your dough…


Interestingly, all of those tunes I remember hearing (4 in all that were repeated) were all based on old Disney themes and I was forced to wonder what sort of deal they had with for these performances to be safe.

It was later on that I noticed that every time someone would come in, one of the workers would yell (and I do mean yell) “Welcome to Cold Stone”.

Overall, quite an enjoyable experience, except for the length of the line, the premium price paid for such a treat and the excess of calories that my body did not need that night.

2 Comments:

  • I went to a place like that once, in Lawrence. Very very yummy way to serve up icecream... too bad they shut down pretty quickly. Maybe it's just too expensive for most people's taste?

    By Anonymous Lana, at 7:01 PM  

  • Thanks for the tip. My wife and I are always looking for new ways to treat our taste buds and really good icecream is one of the best treats.
    Richard T

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home