.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Announcing DHCP for Windows Home Server (aka DHCP4WHS)

Update: My Code2Fame entry and updated version can be found on this post.

Not long ago I got done confirming some last minute changes for an early build of the quasi-secret project I'd mentioned here previously... but now I can say that it's done (enough for now) and that project is: DHCP Server for Windows Home Server, and In the hopes of getting some last minute feedback before I record my video and ship it off for entry in the Code2Fame Challenge I've shared it over on the Windows Home Server forums.

Here are a few early screen shots:

Leases:
Leases view of DHCP4WHS

Reservations:
Reservations view of DHCP4WHS

Settings:
Settings of DHCP4WHS

I'll grant you that a DHCP Server isn't very sexy... but it does have something very unique that I think is worth bragging about... as far as I can tell DHCP4WHS is the first and only DHCP server written in C# and/or for the .NET Framework.

I'm sad to say though that it's not completely done... I've got a bit more testing to do and a few mostly cosmetic changes to make before I make a 1.0 build for the RTM of Windows Home Server (just as soon as I get my hands on it) and once that's done I plan to come up with a more powerful user interface than what I've got today.

An interesting (I think) bit about this is that the back-end server is capable of far more than what the simple UI I have to day supports... in fact the front end of DHCP4WHS only supports 5 different DHCP message options while the back-end currently supports 70 and adding more is trivial... the kicker is having an easy to use and expand UI for managing all 70 different types and I'll be damned if I'm going to have 70 different editor forms... or even 17 (which is the current number of groups the options currently fall in to in my parsing code)… although I've currently got a prototyped way that needs to be made a little prettier looking.

Now if you'll excuse me my hands hurt and it is quite late and I have... absolutely nothing later today.

Note: I do plan to support Peg DHCP at a later time... just not today.

5 Comments:

  • Actually, Peg DHCP could really be sort of funny to see implemented. You can share network printers via WHS, right? Somehow it sounds very geeky to have a WHS running on a LAN that not only serves the intranet but also provides DHCP and is able to print everything that is needed for a client (refering to Peg DHCP documentation ;) ) to configure his system

    By Blogger Llama, at 2:00 AM  

  • Hi,
    it would be nice if you can integrate the functionality to chose which network card should be used for the dhcp system. I have two network cards in my WHS and would like to create an own network with dhcp in another LAN (using my WHS as a router). Therefore I'm using one card for the external network and one for my private.

    By Anonymous Andreas Balzer, at 5:35 AM  

  • http://www.adminkernel.com/

    By Anonymous creativesumant, at 7:35 PM  

  • s it me or is this thing not working..

    I first stopped the dhcp server that windows gave me.

    Then i installed and runned this thing and my computers arent getting any ip anymore..

    when i start the dhcp server thats shipped with windows it is giving ip's again and i see the clinets in the WHS tab but i tought thats not the way it supposed to work?

    Recently I just came across a good article on " Windows Server"
    Here is its link.

    By Anonymous creativesumant, at 7:38 PM  

  • you'd be dumb to hate linux :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home