.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Thursday, May 03, 2007

My weight loss experience - 1 year in

I am pleased to announce that today is the 1 year anniversary of my beginning the Nutrisystem program and since starting I've lost 123.8 lbs.

And now... the requisite before pictures:

Before - Front Before Side

And today (taken just this morning):

Year 1 - Front

Year 1 - Side

The back story:

So a little over a year ago I decided I should try something else to lose a few pounds. Why? I wish I could give a grand overriding reason such as not liking small children (or woman) looking at me in horror, more expensive clothing, not fitting into most airline seats, difficulty finding cars that fit well (partially due to being 6'4") or something else so motivating... instead one day I just said "lets give it another try".

So a year ago I gave into one of the many Nutrisystem commercials I'd hear on the radio, see on tv or see as banner ads online and with that... it began with my first day being Wednesday May 3rd, 2006 and in that time, have lost 123.8 lbs bringing me from a starting weight of 415.2 down to 291.4, a long way towards my perverted goal of seeing sub 200.

(Want to learn more about Nutrisystem? Shoot me an email and we can talk and if you'd like I can also send you a $30 coupon)

If you are not familiar with Nutrisystem, the basic idea is that each month they send you a box of food, 28 breakfasts, lunches, dinners and deserts and as it turns out... I made a little mistake towards the beginning. I didn't quite read this instructions and didn't know that I was supposed to add in my own food. Why is this important? The Nutrisystem plan (which is more than just a bit of calorie counting (a big thing for me as it turned out)) revolves around eating ~1800 calories a day and what they send you... is only about half of that.So my first week wasn't very fun as I was only eating what they sent... but once I started adding some fruits and little 80 calorie fruit and yogurt things all was well and I began to lose pretty rapidly, take these graphs:

Weight loss since starting:

YearHistory

30 day average:

30DayAverage

Unfortunately the overall rate has been slowing down a bit, but that's to be expected just how much I've lost and how much I've got left but thankfully with the recent repair of my exercise bike and air conditioner installation, I'll be able to do something I haven't been doing for quite a while... work out.

The funny thing is that since beginning this weight loss... I've had more problems because of my weight (change) than I ever did previously. Crazy I know. Care to guess what the worst part (in my opinion) about massive weight loss is?

Clothing.

Back on May 3rd, 2006 I tipped the scales at 415.2 lbs, wore pants with a 52 inch waist (that were a tad tight) and wore 5xlt shirts. Today, I'm down to wearing pants with a 46 inch waist and 3xlt shirts with 2xlt shirts being likely only a month away and 44's about a month later.

Six inches and two x's I've gone down so far and have had to buy some intermediate clothes.

Many say that they love getting to buy new 'skinny clothes' and throw out the old 'fat clothes'... only I'm not all fond of that just yet for two reasons:

  1. New clothes cost money... and I am notoriously cheap on many things including clothes. I resist going in and dropping $25 for a pair of jeans, and $17 for a simple t-shirt and at least $35 for a work (dress-ish) shirt.
  2. Any clothes I buy today will be retired in 6-8 months just like all of those clothes I started off with.

To raise a few dollars for new clothes as well as get rid of some of my older clothes, I've taken to selling them on eBay to mixed results. First auction of 15 shirts netted me $100 while the second of 10 only earned me $18.50. In fact right now I've got two more lots up on eBay (Lot 1, Lot 2).

So as bad as street and work clothing has been... specialty clothing is also going to be a bit problematic, take my deer hunting outfit for example:

Deer 2005

When I purchased the jacket and bibs (the bottoms) I dropped $225 for a setup that fit like a glove back in 2005, however in 2006 when out chasing Bambi I was 70lbs less than the year before, things were noticeably loose to me but not as much on film:

Deer 2006

Although a quick shot looking inside of the jacket does show a fair bit of extra room:

Hunting clothes

I can only imagine how bad things would be today, let alone during deer season 2007... so I'm definitely going to need to drop another small pile of cash on another setup that will hopefully last me a little longer as frankly, I don't think I'll be losing another 123.8lbs anytime soon unless I get a leg sawed off (granted another 70 is still a possibility).

One hopes that my current setup that's only been out a few times will still fetch a few bucks on eBay... but I don't think I'll list them until this summer when more folks are in the market for that kind of gear.

Another interesting thing I've encountered due to the weight loss... reduced alcohol tolerance.

Back when I was in college I might be found at the bar once or twice a month with friend and back then I could drink beer like water without a problem. Even after college when my low desire for drinking became even smaller, that tolerance was still in place... today though, I can feel alcohol a heck of a lot quicker than I could even a year ago.

I rather liked being an expensive date/drunk.

Why this has happened I cannot say... but I expect it's either due to the lower body weight or more likely (in my mind) my increased abstention as I don't drink as much these days as I did a year, two or even three ago... partially due to lack of interest, but also due to finances and calories (maybe if I can find some decent tasting calorie free beer).

Despite all of the complements I've received since this all began... I'm sad to say that I haven't noticed things as much as others. Sure, I see a massive change in the way clothes fit, I've noticed some differences when looking at pictures or looking at the scale every morning... but also every morning when I look at myself in the mirror, I look just the same as the day/week/month/year before and when I look down when not wearing a shirt I see the same belly I've seen for as long as I can remember.

Sure, I'm the least suited to judge the difference in body size as I'm not exactly the most impartial or objective observer... I do hope though that I will see the day in a year or two when I can look down and see less flab.

So that's it really... in 1 year I lost 123.8 lbs out of 220lbs I'd like to lose. Will I make it? I don't know. Perhaps in another 50/70/90 I'll be happy enough with where I am at, however I certainly cannot say for sure today as I still know I've got plenty to lose, but it is nice to know that I am more than halfway to my goal and have done a great deal of successful work in achieving it... and in recognition of it I have a small collection of Nutrisystem bears sitting atop my curtains in the living room:

Nutrisystem Bears

For every 10lbs you lose on Nutrisystem they send you a little stuffed bear to help note your progress and help make the entire quest a little more manageable. Instead of focusing each and every day on the final goal of losing some insanely large number... one can instead focus on getting their next bear... unfortunately from the sounds of it they do not do any bears beyond 100lbs (ignoring the Goal Bear you receive if/when you reach your goal) so I may need to pressure them into making some larger ones as I'd really hate to have to wait another 96.2 lbs.

Funny... despite knowing that my current loss is more than half of my total goal... it wasn't until writing the previous paragraph that I realized that I only had 96.2lbs to go... me thinks I may need to start calculating that as well, have that as a number just as handy as how many lbs I've lost as sure, a high # of lost lbs is a nice thing to be able to brag about... it alone doesn't mean as much as being able to say as well "And I'm only ___ lbs away from my goal!"

Note: Knowing that this happy day was quickly approaching, this post was actually begun on Monday morning so as to give me an opportunity to say everything I wanted without utterly killing my hands come Thursday morning.

Labels:

16 Comments:

  • I'm proud of you man. Don't worry about still having a belly (and probably boobies). Your skin is still stretched way out from being at 400+. I think that's what your seeing. Just give it some time and your skin will contract back to your body. It may be a bad analogy but, just like silly putty, it will stay stretched for a period of time. After awhile, though, it resumes its previous shape.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 AM  

  • Thanks a lot Anon,

    While the thought of excess skin has been in the back of my mind from the start and can say for sure that around my belly (and boobies) there is still plenty of fat with only slight hints of extra skin... instead the excess skin is a little more noticeable I think around my upper legs where things tend to jiggle a bit more than before.

    You are right that with time that the skin will contract back to the proper size of my body... only there is always the possibility that the skin will either contract so slowly (or not at all) that a bit of plastic surgery is required to remove some of it (and a few extra lbs no doubt) and sadly... I’m not the biggest one for waiting extended periods for that... but then I don’t have much of a choice in the matter do I?

    By Blogger Brendan, at 7:54 PM  

  • Dude.. Killer blog and awesome sense of humor! Your NS accomplishments to date are wonderful! I've lost 28 lbs so far and have 93 to go myself, but I am a short guy so I look(ed) huge.

    Anyways, It's sites like yours I have been looking for. I built a Browser Toolbar for NS members that make navigating the NS web site a ton easier. I am looking to trade links with people like you who have blogs and success stories that would make a awesome addition to the toolbar. In the NS toolbar is a button that drops down into a browser bubble where I place my "Link Friends". If you are interested in having your site and story in the toolbar, please e-mail toolbar---at---clancampbell.us. All I am seeking is a link to my download page somewhere reasonable well placed on your blog. The Address is http://www.clancampbell.us/nstoolbar/index.htm

    Check it out and see if this is somthing you would like to do. If not, that's cool too!

    Again, great job on your NS success. I hope I can do so well.

    Wayne

    By Blogger waynedcam, at 12:43 PM  

  • Wow your total look has changed quite a bit.
    I remember you back from DSU and seen your MSN link today and thought I would check it out.

    Keep it up.

    By Anonymous Icefreez, at 1:23 PM  

  • Great result! And I'm reading how to burn calories and hope that it helps me:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 PM  

  • Dont even get down on yourself.... I would give anything to be in shoes...Lol the little bears are cute though.I just ordered my nutrisystem and hope I can get to a good healthy weight. Your site helped me so much because I have been searching the freakin universe just to find out really how much you can lose or should u eat with the packages.. I wish you the best of luck!

    By Anonymous T., at 11:50 AM  

  • What's been going on since May? You were doing greagt, but you've stopped posting. Let us know how things are going!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 PM  

  • Stopped posting? Heck no (granted I haven't posted on it all that much)... back in December I hit (and blogged about) another milestone in my weight loss of hitting a BMI < 30.0 .... and currently I'm a full 180 down from when I started in May 06.

    By Blogger Brendan, at 7:42 PM  

  • Congratulations man! Stories like yours are so inspirational. Just awesome.

    By Anonymous Terry, at 5:57 AM  

  • Today is 7-5-08, how is your weight loss coming along on Nutri Systems, I am thinking about it for myself................
    God Bless

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:55 PM  

  • Another anon here. I just wanted to say congrats. I am 6'9 and around 440 myself. I know the frustration of people looking at you in public like you are some kind of a freak. I have dealt with that for over 15 years and I just try to ignore it. I am trying to get motivated to lose weight, but I can't find a safe, healthy, and cost effective way of doing it. It is tough, and I applaud you for doing what you have done! I just started hunting in 2007 and I know that I have to drop some serious poundage if I'm going to spend alot of time in the woods! Congrats man and keep it up! You are a great inspiration!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 AM  

  • This blog have helpful content and information. Is there any formula to control diet and keep muscle tone with fitness? For more log on
    Personal Trainer- www.just4ufit.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:34 AM  

  • Hey dude,
    Nice work. I am on day 11. I started at 402 and lost my first week 12 pounds. I am 6'3'' and I know what you are talking about when it comes to dragging a deer out of the woods as well as all my own extra weight. You motivate me.
    Arnold
    bunker_alt@ymail.com

    By Blogger Arnold, at 4:26 PM  

  • If you change something in your lifestyle, you’re probably going to see results – but there’s a law of diminishing returns at play. You can exercise for an extra hour a day for a week and still lose the same amount as you had when you were only exercising half as much. Give your body time to adjust – don’t push yourself too hard or you’re just going to spend your energy on something that’s not necessarily going to give you immediate and direct benefit. This, of course, only applies to those of you wanting to lose fat – not for those who are training for a triathlon.

    By Anonymous F. Belt, at 10:28 AM  

  • Dont even get down on yourself.... I would give anything to be in shoes...Lol the little bears are cute though.I just ordered my nutrisystem and hope I can get to a good healthy weight. Your site helped me so much because I have been searching the freakin universe just to find out really how much you can lose or should u eat with the packages.. I wish you the best of luck!

    By Anonymous P. Hentermine, at 7:21 AM  

  • That is amazing. Well done to you! I must admit I never thought Nutrisystem and similar programs would bring much success, but you have changed my mind.

    By Anonymous debbie, at 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home