.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Outlook Errors Will Inform Vikings

I am pleased to announce that this morning I passed Microsoft Exam 70-316, "Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual C# .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET", putting me just two tests away from an MCAD (by just using C# tests) and one away if using VB.NET tests.

The reason for the title, is that that is the mnemonic I came up with last year when studying for 70-306 for remembering the order and values of Trace levels (Off, Error, Warning, Information and Verbose) and is a topic that came to mind last night when taking a final practice exam from the back of a study book.

It quickly occurred to me that the sample exam was testing areas more in-depth than the previous tests had, and almost completely ignoring others. Being suspicious, I hunted out a few more sample tests online and they confirmed my suspicions... 70-316 samples seemed to be focusing on security and deployment far more than 70-306 samples in my view. On the other side, connection string knowledge was covered far more in 70-306 samples.

After taking the test today, I am even more confident in my suspicions.

If I had to guess, the logic is as follows:

Despite VB.NET and C# being equally capable of building the exact same applications, historically, VB and now VB.NET have been used for more data access programs while C and C++ (in many cases being replaced by C#) have been used for more functional and in-depth programs (ie non data centric).

Of course... officially confirming this theory is difficult as a look at the preparation guides for 70-306 and 70-316 on Microsoft.com seem to indicate that topics are equal between the two tests (other than the language of course).

Still puzzling none the less.

1 Comments:

  • I think the thing to remember in answering your dilemma is that all tests are written by someone, or a group. People qualified to write the VB.NET test have experience using VB, and if VB is used for data access, then their experience is in data access. So, the test they write, reflecting their experience is going to be more about data access. Likewise, the C# test is going to reflect the strengths and experience of the folks qualified to write a C# test.

    By Blogger Stickystacky, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home