.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Friday, May 04, 2007

Vista speech recognition

So given the ongoing problems with my hands at long last I decided to give the speech recognition software built into Windows Vista a try.

I've always been one who thought that I spoke quite clearly, sadly Vista disagrees… That or the microphone I'm using sucks a bunch or I haven't trained it well enough.

While I have no doubt that the software is far better than I'm seeing, I'm rather let down as it seems to be worthless to coder like me as I need something that can understand c# take the following attempts to write the beginnings of a for loop.

For all been privacy is int X equals one; ex less than 10; ex plus plus)

Four (int X equals one; ex less than 10; ex plus plus)

For (int X equals one; X less than 10; Expos' plus)

Four (in tdaxp equals one; ex less than 10; X plus plus)

For (int X equals one; X less than 10; Expos' plus)

For work (int X equals one; ax lists than 10; ex plus plus)

For (int ex equals one; ex less than 10; ex plus plus)

If I have time later and am feeling particularly anal I might just have to record my voice several times saying the same thing over and over again and see how the speech recognition system takes that because I cannot believe that of those previous attempts I was speaking so differently each time but then what do I know?

I will say this though this blog post took a good 5 minutes to dictate, something that even with bad hands I could've written in about a minute.

2 Comments:

  • I am so sorry to hear about your hands. I attempted to use voice recognition software to code after I shattered my left elbow, and I got more done with short stints of painful and awkward typing, followed by long breaks. I've also heard that things like that work for issues with wrists, etc. I think hunt and peck may actually even be easier than voice recognition.

    By Blogger Michael, at 10:38 PM  

  • In some respects it was/is less painful to type for a while with problematic hands rather than use voice recognition because at least with the hands you are guaranteed some degree of accuracy and the pain that is being felt is only physical while the pain with voice recognition becomes physical after some mental anguish at the time it takes to work... it’s that same slowness that has made me resist other attempts as anything else is going to be horrifically slow.

    When I’m at my PC I had to be bogged down by slowness which is why even today I still use my hands more than I should at the PC, this is especially problematic because I don’t always know when to stop. I start looking at some code and try to troubleshoot it I find myself ignoring my hands for a time and once I remember about them I regret ever sitting down in the first place.

    By Blogger Brendan, at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home