.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Monday, October 29, 2007

DFS Oddity

When one launches an administrative tool locally... one has good cause to expect it to list local resources automatically that the tool cares about right?

Not so it seems with the DFS (Distributed File System) MMC applet.

Over the weekend when working on my new add-in I was making use of NetDfsAddStdRoot() as well as a couple of other DFS calls and ran into an oddity... when I create a DFS root in the MMC applet... it shows up, however when I create one with NetDfsAddStdRoot() it doesn't, nor does it show up if you right click in the list and choose refresh.

Granted, this may not sound like a huge issue... only Windows limits you to a single DFS root, which means if I create one programmatically and then the user tries to create their own manually in the MMC... they are going to get an error and there will be no obvious way to get around it.

Sounds like a bug doesn't it? Possibly (and likely unrelated to this one), and there is a way around it... you just have to be explicit and add the root or server to the DFS MMC which is a nice thing to know which means I can remove the notice from my add-in about how you shouldn't uninstall it without first using it’s build in 'remove configuration' button.

I don't have a (VPC) Windows Server 2008 server handy but will see if this behavior is the same under it, if so I'll bug it on connect and see what they say as call me crazy... but a management tool when run locally should display local resources in cases when standalone authentication is not necessary (ie SQL) and enumeration of the resources are not prohibitively expensive.

4 Comments:

  • If you were working in an open source ecology, not having a piece of software would not be an issue -- you would merely download, compile, and run it.

    By Blogger Dan tdaxp, at 11:46 AM  

  • Nor is it an issue when dealing with Microsoft beta products... unfortunatly the place I am right now has a limited DSL modem and it'd take about 12 hours to download the latest beta build of Windows 2008 Server from Microsoft... something that took less than 30 min on my home cable modem... which is why it will have to wait until then.

    By Blogger Brendan, at 11:48 AM  

  • So the problem is that Microsoft's proprietary distribution channels are not up to the task?

    I would imagine, though this is only a guess, that if Gates' company would fall to an open source alternative, it would be trivially easy to pick up DVDs of various tools in nearly any neighborhood.

    By Blogger Dan tdaxp, at 11:51 AM  

  • As I said, it is the crappiness of the DSL modem where I am now that toggles between ~40-120k/s down... while my cable modem easily pulls a megabyte/second from MSFT.

    I could have had DVD media shipped to me long ago but I figured that I'd always be near a high speed net connection... something this PoS DSL cannot be called (at the current rate it will be replaced with cable before to long unless they get their acts together). Cable had been the first choice but it was going to take Midco 2 weeks to run a line here.

    By Blogger Brendan, at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home