.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Sunday, September 09, 2007

WiFi Doorbell

Why isn't there such a thing?

This evening my neighbor came by to borrow my power drill and despite sitting less than 10 feet away from my front door, I hardly heard her knock and once again reminded myself that I should look into some sort of wireless doorbell, but being a geek I asked myself "Why just go with straight wireless? Why not something more PC accessible?"

I suddenly find myself wondering why (as far as I can Google) there's isn't an inexpensive off the shelf system that I could put at my front door and plug into a PC and notify me when the door bell button is pressed. Why waste time with a stand alone module alone when I could also have a toast pop up?

Yet another time when I wish I had some electronics skills, otherwise this would be a useful and interesting thing to try to DIY.

7 Comments:

  • Dear god, I'm right there with you!

    However, I want it a bit more complex, I want an integrated intercom/doorbell/intercom(with "skypeish" phone) ... It should be possible! :)

    By Anonymous Skerit, at 11:04 AM  

  • Not a bad improvement... but I want multiple different versions... one for me just so I know about the beep and another for geeks with more money than me who want to talk to/listen to/see the person at their door.

    By Blogger Brendan, at 12:45 PM  

  • What about this-> phone doorbell + ATA + Asterisk, then asterisk can send you an IM or (for mac users) growl notification.
    I need to solve the video part

    By Blogger David, at 6:17 PM  

  • What about a Wifi doorbell that takes a voice message, still pic or video, produces an audit trail and has the capability to interface with your cellular phone and/or the internet in order to notify you when you are too far away from the door or when you are not at home?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

  • I use a wifi camera to monitor my Ft. door.
    Most people only knock so my wifi camera is already made to send me an email of the visitor when someone walks into the square that I draw on the screen.
    You could even have the video mailed to your phone?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:27 PM  

  • most of the home router companies make network cameras.
    My wifi camera is like a caller ID for my ft door.
    you walk up and it sends me a picture or video.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 PM  

  • thank you
    ıspartakule çilingir ıspartakule çilingir http://www.ispartakulecilingir.com

    By Blogger Bilgi Devim, at 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home