.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Friday, March 27, 2009

Earth Hour: What are you doing Saturday night?

Recently I was forwarded an email about “Earth Hour”, a concept where well... to quote them:

This year, Earth Hour has been transformed into the world’s first global election, between Earth and global warming.

 

For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote – Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming.

I’m confused... you mean by turning off my lights for just an hour on one night... I can prevent global warming?

What if... I want global warming? Or worse... think that the whole notion of ‘man-made’ ‘global warming’ is a not about ‘saving the planet’ but instead being used to fundamentally change our civilization and not for the better?

I dunno about you... but at 8:30 on Saturday night, I will make sure that every single light in my apartment (as well as the temporary one I am staying in) will be on.

Heck while I’m at it, I also plan to crank the heat and open my windows, turn on my oven as well as every single appliance and electrical device I can.

And to make my own statement count for that much more... I think I may even make it a point to not be home during this hour!

Perhaps I should look into renting a nice gas guzzling SUV while I’m at it... hrm

4 Comments:

  • Hi Brendan,

    I read your blog but I have never before commented. This latest post from you has prompted me to leave my cocoon of Google Reader and actually come over to your site to leave a comment.

    Leaving aside the whole "Is Global Warming happening and if so is it man made" debate for a second. Your statement "but instead being used to fundamentally change our civilization and not for the better? " confused me. How do you feel things are being fundamentally changed and why not for the better. I think energy efficiency and trying to become a more responsible society in reards to recycling and resource management in general is a good thing. I can't see a downside to all of this myself, regardless of the reason it is happening. I am interested in your thoughts if you have time to elaborate.

    Kevin

    By Anonymous Kevin, at 9:50 AM  

  • I have quite similar feelings, seeing "climate change" used as an excuse for a lot of extra taxation and social engineering, trying to ram a political agenda down our throats. It's not as severe in most of the US - yet - but European governments in particular have been using this to force prices up, obstruct and restrict car users in all sorts of ways (part-blocking roads to slow traffic, demolishing or restricting car parking)...

    I like the idea of efficiency and reducing waste - more efficient light bulbs, better insulation etc - and cleaner power stations, but when politicians start handing out subsidies for otherwise non-viable products like wind power, I object, both because they are reducing efficiency and because they are wasting my money.

    By Blogger James, at 2:14 PM  

  • Nice post, Brendan! It sounds like your own personal "tea party"! I agree with your sentiments. I think both the "economic crisis" and "global warming crisis" are either overblown or false and are being used to push an agenda of supidity and it's sad how nobody dare question it.

    By Blogger TroyW, at 4:15 PM  

  • Bravo Brendan,
    It's nice to see young people who use their brain and think critically about these issues instead of blindly swallowing whatever they're fed by the media (or some professor) which/who is complicit with those who want to control us. Good for you!

    By Blogger David, at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home