.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Friday, June 02, 2006

FedEx Incompetence

Last week I received a couple of packages from Dell via UPS, a pair of monitors that turned out to be defective and after contacting Dell about the matter they sent out two replacements via FedEx that were scheduled to arrive to my home on Wednesday... unfortunately, this was not to be.

Arriving home on Wednesday I found the typical "sorry we missed you" tag on my door with a pair of stickers saying that my signature was required in order for them to release the packages.

Traditionally when I am expecting a package I hang a sign on my inner door that requests that any and all packages addressed to me be left regardless of if I am home or not... and include my signature and my cell phone number in case of questions. Apparently this method which has been accepted by the likes of UPS, Airborne, DHL, and Fedex (just to name a few) in past was not enough.

My next and obvious move, was to sign the "sorry we missed you tag" on the appropriate line... unfortunately it was not to be found. Why? Because the two large stickers informing me that a signature was required took up the bottom 2/3rds of the tag, completely covering the oh-so-small sticker that I am to sign my name on... finally discovering where it was I pulled back one of the larger stickers and signed it. Problem solved I thought.

I was wrong.

Returning home on Thursday with every expectation in the world that my replacement monitors would be here... they were not, instead, yet another "Sorry we missed you" tag was to be found next to the previous one, this time only a single sticker on it and the words "IN PERSON" penned in after the circled "SIGNATURE REQUIRED".

Nice of him to tell me that.

Being quite angered that my replacement monitors had already been delayed by 2 days by this incompetent driver, I called the FedEx 800 number to file a complaint and see how else I could get my packages.

I should pause real quick and mention that both notes did have an alternative way to get them... to pick them up in person, in Sioux Falls (an hour from where I live), after 6:30 PM (I leave work in Sioux Falls at 5)... so I am not about to do another 2 hours on the road to make up for the drivers failings.

While on the phone, the customer service person was to say the least... puzzled. According to him, virtually all packages they handle for Dell require a signature in person in order to be released... and yet mine didn't, in fact according to him, there was no reason that the driver shouldn't have been able to release the package to me on Wednesday, and yet that didn't happen.

That's right, rather than actually double check the specific notes for handling my package... the driver decided make an assumption that was quite clearly wrong.

Finally I decided enough was enough and asked that the packages not be put on a truck for Friday delivery and told them that I would pick them up in person at their Sioux Falls center. To confirm this request, a woman at the Sioux Falls office called me 5 minutes after getting off the phone with the 800-customer service person to also apologize and agree that the driver should have left the packages at my door on Wednesday and could not explain why that didn't happen.

It is kind of sad really... of all of the delivery companies I've dealt with over the years for receiving packages... FedEx is the only one I've ever had any problems with or gripes about, in fact part of the reason I started leaving the note to delivery drivers on my door was because FedEx more often than not wanted a signature... something no one else did as often, and yet this time the note wasn't enough for them.

2 Comments:

  • Just rig a contraption that punches the driver in the face if they don't leave a package. I know this probably isn't possible, but hey, just thought I'd throw that out there.

    By Anonymous Hollywood, at 10:47 AM  

  • The Fedex location near me (in Tempe, AZ) doesn't have enough parking for the number of customers they get at the end of the day, and you aren't allowed to park on the street, so you have to wait in line in your car before you can wait in line inside the store to get your package.

    I wish I could tell them, "whenever you get a package addressed for my house that needs a signature, just hold it at FedEx and call or e-mail when you get it in" so I can go down there and pick it up at lunch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home