.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Friday, March 17, 2006

Why does Northwest want to be hated by the tall?

Before I begin... I need to say that as those who know me can attest... I do not get angry or pissed off very often. In fact, it generally takes quite a bit to move me from indifference, well past dislike and onto hatred or true anger about something... today, I write about one of those rare things.

I don't know about you... but I hate to fly, at least commercially that is.

Like many I suspect, I can handle the turbulence, heights and air pressure changes. I can even handle the attitudes of the airline staff who treat the passengers like crap and toss luggage around with reckless abandon... what I can't handle, is the complete lack of room for sitting.

Let me first say... I stand 6'4" (1.93 meters) tall, and with me having a few extra lbs to me, I am a big guy and one who doesn't fit well in airline seats. When I do fly, I always have to go for the emergency exit row so that I have at least some leg room.

The last time I flew in a non-exit row, I found my knees painfully wedged against the seatback in front of me, and the wire that keeps the seatback pocket closed running right below both of my knee caps.

If that wasn't painful enough, not long after we were airborne, the person in front of me decided to recline... and after pressing the button and realizing that the seat wasn't moving back with the slight lean he put on it... he leaned forward and thrust his upper body hard onto the seat. Not to be deterred by it's still not moving; he did so again, twice more in fact before turning around to see my knees wedged there, then looking up to see me on the verge of bursting out screaming from the pain... and no, I'm afraid this is not an exaggeration.

In response, I got a very insincere "sorry!" out of him.

With the recent news that Northwest has decided to begin charging $15 to passengers who wish to sit in seats with my legroom... it seems then that I will not be flying any more.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I see it as extortion when they go from a system that tries to accommodate those whose legs are just a little too big for regular seating, and instead attempt to extort them for additional money because they cannot adequately run their business and make a profit in the face of lower cost competitors.

Sure I'm just one guy, but to you Douglas Steenland and the rest of Northwest airlines who says: "Nice knee caps you've got there... it'd be a shame if something were to happen to 'em," I say "I will not be flying with you again, or any airline that has such a policy."

1 Comments:

  • I think you’re absolutely right. There is no reason why tall people should be extorted into paying more for seats on airliners. I think that TCI should boycott northwest until they eliminate this discriminatory policy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home