.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Friday, December 23, 2005

Done with Barnes & Noble

I love buying things online, but sometimes, I want/need something quicker than the UPS man can get it to my house... so I’ll venture out and try to find it locally.

In support of my upcoming 70-340 exam, this week I was trying to find a copy of the Tony Northrup book MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit: Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual C# .NET, the only prep book for 70-340.

Having no chance of finding it in the town of Madison (where I live), I visited the local Barnes & Noble in Sioux Falls over lunch one day to see... to see if the only place that would have any chance of stocking it within 100 miles had it. The answer?

No, but we can order it for you.


To which I replied:

If I wanted to wait 3-5 days for a book, I could buy it off of Amazon or elsewhere for half of what you would charge me.


It amazes me how a brick and mortar store like B&N still exists. Granted, I am not a typical customer, it has been my experience over the years that they simply never have the book I am looking for at the time. Of course, this does become a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy.

I go in, not find the book I want and buy it online. Later, when I need another book, remembering my last experiences, I order it online again. Later, when I really need a specific book quickly (and one that they are not likely to have in stock) I go in... only to be let down again.

Not that B&N has received much of my money over the years, I think it’s safe to say that I am done dealing with them as I only end up with disappointment when I am there.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home