.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

I Hate Linux

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Javier Luna, Shameless Spammer

A number of years ago when faced with the prospect of being unemployed for another summer, I decided to engage in a rather unique job hunting approach... real world mass mailing.

No, I didn't send post my resume to any job board I could find, or email every recruiter within my sights... I came up with a list of companies, addresses and a customizable cover letter and resume and in a period of 10 days, I mailed 114 resumes. By mailed, I do of course mean the envelope sized package made of paper (a tree byproduct), complete with a stamp in the corner.

Of my 114 resumes, I got about 25-30 responses, most of which were "thanks for your resume... we'll keep you in mind" or "thanks for the interest but ___". I ended up with 4 phone calls, 2 interviews and one job offer (which I accepted). Today, I am still working for the same company that extended that offer to me for a summer internship, which grew into a quasi fulltime position, and finally later, employee status.

No, I couldn't taste anything for a period of about 2 weeks due to all of the licking I was doing. Yes, I should have looked into a sponge or other method that did not involve saliva.

What does all of this have to do with the title of this post? When I was looking for a job, I acted intelligently and targeted my resumes, unlike a Mr. Javier Luna, a shameless spammer who today sent his 4th message to me with a bit about himself, his resume and what he is looking for in a job.

I have no problem with people using e-mail to try to find a job, but one should not be sending such things to every address they can find, let alone multiple times.

Being the (at times) nice and sympathetic guy I am/can be, I can relate with those who have a difficult time finding work, as I have had my own difficulties in past. There are limits though, and cramming countless mail boxes full of such crap does not get one many points. I am guessing that the vast majority of those persons he is spamming are not someone who is in any position to hire, or care much about applicants for that matter. It does nothing to make me feel sorry for the guy, or think "Do I know of any jobs he could do?" No, simply enough dislike enough to type this blog entry and hit delete on this latest message.

Odd my spam filter didn't stop this one from reaching my inbox.

On a closing note, Attention Mr. Javier Luna: You are a spammer, no one likes spammers. If you want a job, I would suggest you stop it. Furthermore, a person such as yourself who touts his knowledge of Oracle and other databases surely knows something about data cleansing... may I suggest that you fix your e-mail list so as to leave out all private accounts of persons like me and only target recruiters?

9 Comments:

  • I've gotten about 6 emails from that merciless bastard trying to throw his job skills at me.

    One day... I shall destroy him.

    By Anonymous Brandon, at 9:36 AM  

  • Ya, Mr Java Tuna or whatever his name is had sent me a few emails too. I despise you Java Tuna man!!!

    By Anonymous Dosch-man, at 1:39 PM  

  • Oooo, Java Tuna is a blogger TOO!

    http://guydotnetxmlwebservices.blogspot.com/

    Aint that something? Could be a coincidence, but I dont know too many people destined to name their offspring "Java Tuna".

    By Anonymous dosch-man, at 1:43 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Javier Luna, at 3:35 PM  

  • As you may have noticed Javier, I do not take kindly to your spam, and will not let you spam my blog like so many others you have done, hence why your previous comment has been deleted, as will any future ones from you, or anyone providing actual href links to your blog.

    By Blogger Brendan, at 3:47 PM  

  • Brendan, you're right:

    Javier Luna is not only a shameless spammer, if not also an IT terrorist.

    Three years ago I worked together with him in a bank in Lima-Peru.

    At that time he worked like programmer analyst and due to incorrect behavior he was fired. When this happened, he in revenge locked his PC and deleted the software that we developed for the bank.

    The bank lost six thousand dollars and I was really embarrassed.

    Be careful with him.

    Regards
    Ruddy Donoso

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

  • I LOVE LINUX!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 AM  

  • I LOVE LINUX!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:39 AM  

  • Ruddy Donoso is a gay
    he leaves a girl after 5 years and cheating... and at the end he says "I still want you as an alternative... plz wait for me" :S

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home